The Easter holidays are here at last so it seems right that this week’s recipe should be egg based and Springy! Frittatas can be eaten hot or cold or in between and make fabulous family picnic food. We have friends coming for lunch today and I don’t want to be a slave to my cooker so we are having it in cold wedges with bread fresh from the bread maker and a selection of salads. It will be followed by rhubarb crumble and a jug of custard as our rhubarb is romping away!
Ingredients (Serves 7)
14 eggs, whisked
1 onion, finely chopped and fried in olive oil until lightly browned
350g new potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces and cooked until just tender, pop into a bowl of cold water to stop them cooking
150g frozen or fresh peas, cooked and refreshed under the cold tap
a handful of chopped fresh herbs (I used chives and mint from the garden)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper to taste
a pinch of salt
1. Add chopped herbs, black pepper, salt and chopped garlic to the beaten eggs and mix in thoroughly
2. Ladle a third of the egg mixture into a lightly oiled non- stick frying pan with an oven proof handle.
3. Add one third of the potatoes, onions and peas and spread evenly.
4. Cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes until the bottom is cooked and the top is thinking about it. Pop it under the grill for a further 5 minutes until set throughout.(Poke a knife in to check it is set in the middle.)
5. Remove carefully from the oven (that handle is Hot, hot, hot as Big Cook would annoyingly say!), turn out onto a plate.
6. Repeat twice more with the rest of the mixture. I use a 20cm pan for this and thirds fit in perfectly!
7. Serve immediately, in ten minutes time or pop it in the Tupperware when it has cooled and head off to the river/beach/forest/park/mountain for a picnic!