Welcome once again to Meat Free Monday! This week I want to share this delicious family recipe which sees my daughter, who is a ‘parsnip hater’ scoffing them down happily! It is especially good this year as the parsnips have been well and truly frosted which brings out their delicious sweetness!
I thought it would be nice to pop a linky list on the bottom so if you have any lovely family friendly meat free recipes to share with us, please do. There are lots more of my recipes in the Chris Cooks category in my sidebar.
3 onions sliced
500g parsnips, peeled and quartered lengthways
3 free range eggs
50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 pack of ready made shortcrust pastry, rolled out and used to line a 23cm flan dish. Bake blind. See this post if you’re not sure what this means. I do make my own pastry if I’m in the mood but ready made is easy and just as good.
- Fry onions in butter for ten minutes over gentle heat until golden and caramelised, add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook parsnips in boiling water for 5 – 10 minutes until tender, drain and mash them until smooth
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a bowl or large jug and stir in half the cheese, season (I put a little Dijon mustard in too) and stir in the onions and the parsnips.
- Pour into the blind baked pastry case and scatter the remaining cheese over the top
- Bake at 200°C for 25-30 minutes until just set in the middle
Serve with baked potatoes and salad or new potatoes and steamed vegetables.
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
If you fancy going meat free every Monday, pop over to the Meatless Monday website for more ideas!