I thought I’d start a little meme. The rules are basic, write a little list of things which mark you out as a Mum (or Dad), link back to this post (thank you) and offer the meme up to some other bloggers who you think will enjoy it. It doesn’t matter if you have tiny babies or birds which have already flown, if you’re a parent I want to know what marks you out as one!
I didn’t have a fancy badge to offer you but now I have thanks to the very lovely Tattooed Mummy at Random Musings of A Tattoed Mummy! It’s down there at the bottom of this page, feel free to use it!
Here are ten things which mark me out a Mum to tots and teens:
1. There is a pink bear hanging on your washing line
2. You have Sugar Puffs stuck to your feet/in your hair/in your bed/down your bra
3. You have a little bit of sick/snot/porridge on your shoulder and you either don’t realise and go out to work/the theatre/dinner with child free friends or you do realise and decide to just rub it in and no-one will notice
4. You buy more pairs of shoes for your teenage son than you do for yourself and you walk straight through the women’s section of H&M, jump on the escalator and head to the men’s section for him with little more than a wistful glance at the lovely summery clothes you could be wearing if only he would stop growing
5. The garden you love and tend resembles a war zone because your smallest child has decided to take up basketball/frisbee/football/tennis/cricket and has broken a fair few pots and lopped the tops off a fair few plants
6. You re-read the same book night after night after night through gritted teeth, unable to skip words because your child has a memory like an elephant/is beginning to recognise words/can spot a tired Mummy from a mile off and thinks it’s funny to stretch story time out for as long as possible. When he goes off the book, several weeks down the line, you feel sad and when he grows out of it completely it is you who cannot throw it away and who stores it in a special box
7. Your car resembles a skip (have a look at Paula’s car on Battling On!)
8. You spend Saturday mornings ferrying children to dance classes/parties/band practice instead of in bed recovering from Friday night. (This is also because Friday night doesn’t really happen anymore and instead of being out on the town you are more likely to be found flopped on the sofa or ferrying children around to social lives far more vibrant than your own.)
9. You eat the leftovers off people’s plates and think this is normal
10. However annoying they’ve been, however hard the day was, when you tuck them in at night and they are all warm, soft and sleepy with dirty ears and grazed knees you forgive them everything and your heart melts
If you would like to pick up the baton and run with it, please do! Oh, and please leave a comment because they make me happy! :-)
And, again thanks to Tattooed Mummy, here’s a badge for the Dads!